When it comes to makeup, the holidays really are the most wonderful time of the year. Shimmer! Glitter! Sparkle! They’re all so fun but like eggnog, flashy makeup is best consumed in moderation. Here, celebrity makeup artist and Giorgio Armani Beauty National Creative Director Tim Quinn spills his secrets on how to sparkle without going overboard.
1. Play up one feature at a time with glitter, and leave the rest of your face matte.
2. Wear a velvet finish foundation. The creamy finish is a nice complement to sparkling bits.
3. Avoid sparkles on your cheeks it’s too disco. Look for glitter-free blushes instead; they look sophisticated and modern.
4. Keep glitter liners and shadows close to the lashline. Eyes can look dramatic without covering the entire lid, notes Quinn. He suggests applying the sparkly black shadow from the Black Lace Palette close to the lashline, then lining eyes with a black liquid liner.
5. Use a makeup primer to ensure your sparkles stay put. Glitter is prone to flaking, so keep it in place with a primer. This will prevent makeup from wearing down or falling off.