If you’re anything like us, you have a love-hate relationship with the snooze button. But you don’t have to choose between your beauty sleep and your beauty routine. These time-saving tricks will help you get ready faster, so you’re out the door on time.
1. Keep all your makeup in one place. All those seconds you spend searching for tinted moisturizer in your medicine cabinet and lip gloss in your purse can add up, fast. Try these beauty organization ideas to stash your stuff smartly.
2. Use makeup that comes in stick form. Shadow sticks, stick foundation, eye liner pencils and cream blush in a tube don’t require you to fumble around for a brush, and if you run out of time, you can always apply them on the go.
3. Timing is everything. Structure your routine for optimal multitasking: Shave your legs while you let your conditioner soak in. Air dry your hair while you start your makeup. Brush your teeth while you wait for the water to warm up.
4. Choose a makeup palette that has all the shades you need in one compact. A single palette is easier to store, plus the colors are already perfectly coordinated so choosing the right shade is a no brainer. Dior‘s Au Natural Nude Look Palette ($59, sephora.com) features neutral shades for face, lips and eyes.
5. Make like a makeup artist and set up your “station” before you apply anything. With all your tools and colors laid out in front of you, you’ll save time rooting around in your cosmetics bag.
6. Dry your hair with an ultra-absorbent microfiber towel. It’ll absorb more water than terrycloth, which makes your blowout go faster.
7. When in doubt, add lipstick. A gorgeous red lip makes even minimal mascara and concealer look polished.
8. Not a lipstick girl? Do a smoky eye instead. A smudgy look is impossible to mess up, and the less time you spend correcting mistakes (like crooked liquid liner), the quicker you get out the door.
9. Sleep on a satin pillowcase or tie your hair in a silk scarf before bed. Smoother fabrics won’t rough up your style, which means you can preserve your blowout for multiple days.
10. If you like to wear a different look every day, lay out your makeup when you lay out your clothes the night before.
11. Practice makes perfect. Experiment with new hairstyles and makeup shades at night when you’re less stressed, not five minutes before you have to hit the road.
12. Create a “getting ready” playlist and limit the amount of time you spend on each step of your routine to one song. Teach yourself to style your hair and finish your makeup before the music stops.
13. Have two sets of makeup: one for home, and one for your purse that you use for touchups. This way you won’t waste time looking for products in one spot or the other. We like to keep almost-empty makeup in our to-go kit and leave the fresh products at home; that way it’s no big deal if we misplace something on the go.
14. No time to shampoo? Try one of these second-day hairstyles that actually look better on unwashed hair.
15. Stock up on products that speed up your routine. We love Vaseline Spray & Go Moisturizer ($6, target.com) to hydrate skin in a flash, and the Gillette Venus & Olay Razor ($9.99, drugstore.com) for a speedier shaving session (no lather needed!).
16. Skip steps you don’t really need. Toner is refreshing, but you could probably live without it. You don’t really need blush and bronzer, so just choose one. And most of today’s improved lipstick formulas won’t bleed if you don’t use a lip liner.
17. Use a lip color that’s semi-sheer so mistakes matter less.
18. Stick to a signature look. If cat eye liner is your thing, master the shape and try it with different colored liners to keep things interesting from day to day.
19. Wash your hair the night before and let it air dry. Use a curling iron or straightener to touch up your texture in the AM.
20. Prefer to shower in the morning? Skip the blowout and try one of these hairstyles for damp hair.