Between windy weather, dry indoor air and hair flattening accessories, good hair days can be few and far between once winter rears its head. But a little preparation goes a long way in helping your hairstyle survive being smushed under a beanie and scarf. Try these quick tips for pretty, pulled together hair all winter long.
1. Dreading hat hair? Tuck your hair into a hooded coat instead. A hood will still protect your hair from the elements, but won’t smash down your style like a tight hat would.
2. “Tuck your hair into the collar of your coat or scarf for that nonchalant, ‘I-didn’t-even-try-to-look-chic-but-I-do’ look,” says New York hair stylist Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Styling and Grooming Expert. Or, “try a loose side braid to wear with hats and caps, leaving some soft pieces popping out of either side, framing your face.”
3. If you have bangs, wear your beanie back a bit on your head to avoid flattening your fringe.
4. “Dull hair? No problem: A gloss spray like Redken shine flash 02 amps up dry, lifeless locks in an instant,” Balding recommends.
5. To smooth static, rub a drop or two of hair oil between your palms and run your hands through your hair. You can also use a fresh dryer sheet to smooth hair in a pinch!
6. To refresh hat hair, “carry a travel size dry shampoo to boost roots midday or before a night out,” Balding says. “Throw your hair upside down and mist the dry shampoo at the roots, shake, and there you have it—instant, all over lift!”
7. Moisturized hair is pretty hair! Switch to a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner regimen if your hair gets dry during the winter. A weekly deep-conditioning hair mask can also work wonders.
Read more: 5 Ways to Prep Your Hair for Winter